While working on the white gown, I was just finishing stitching back one side of the center back in preparation for the hook and eye tape my thread broke! Not at the end where I was just about to knot it, but in the middle! I haven't figured that one out yet. I then managed to sew 2/3's of the waistband on before realizing there was a twist in the waistband. I was trying a new way of setting the waistband without pins. I sewed the waistband to the back left and back right, leaving the center unstitched. This way I could use my gauging threads to ensure that it would fit. I finally successfully attached the waistband and am calling it quits on the white for the evening. Tomorrow I will attach some muslin to the top of the skirt interior to bulk it up for gauging, and draft the sleeves. I'd like to make double puff short sleeves with a narrow cuff. I need to get another set of undersleeves out of my voile, and 4 tuckers. With the left over I may try a gathered bertha to go with the dress.
I've made decisions regarding the bertha for my ballgown as well, I've decided to do a a shaped and pleated bertha with green bows. Hmm...I don't think I'm describing it near as well as I'm imagining it! I never piped the bodice when I made the dress last year. I'd like to pipe the bottom edge of the bodice, and the neckline. I also need to bone the bodice, and re-hem the skirt. It is hemmed to a nice height, but I don't like the finished product on the inside. So far I've only reset the waistband onto the skirt. So much to do!
As for the nightgowns, I've finally decided on styles for both of them. Since one is for myself, and the other for a friend I didn't want them to be identical. I'm going to do two versions of a yoke bodice, one with a triangular yoke, and the other with a slight curve. Both will have a self fabric frill attached and the yoke seam and 4 or 5 china buttons. Basic gathered sleeves, and maybe a self fabric frill at the cuffs as well. I need to sort through all my white cotton fabric and find my heavier stuff for the nightgowns, don't want to be showing off more than I bargained for in the mornings!
I've reattached the waistband on the silk ballgown, but it resulted in my finger being torn apart. I'm going to call it quits for hand sewing on my silk until I get sharper needles and a thimble that fits! I may still draft up a couple patterns before bed. I'm thinking that a yoked chemise, drawers, and petticoat set, to wear with my nicer dresses, would be just adorable! Hopefully I will have something more completed to show tomorrow!