Friday, February 19, 2010

clothes for the children

My husband and I don't have any children yet, however we have several friends with kids and grandkids. Since they don't belong to me I will refrain from using their names. I'm going to try to opt for using initials of some sort. So far I have three girls and two boys to dress. Ages vary from 1.5 years up to 8. I'm very excited and have been sketching and studying period images to come up with the best options for them.

For AK's better dress, I'm thinking of using a semi sheer pink plaid along with some white voile.
This will also be her first time wearing skirt supports and corded stays.















For her younger brother, DM, who isn't yet potty trained. I'm really liking the skirt with a separate waist and matching jacket. Even though this would be his best dress option, I might still make the waist out of something a bit more hardy than voile.


















I have talked things over with their family, and we've decided to go with matching colors for their everyday clothes. I think it will be easier to keep an eye on them while they're running around camp, or playing with other children. I have quite a bit of a green and white check that I might turn into matching frocks. The former will get a set of pink calico pinafores and the latter a set of red calico smocks.

CW is going to be two and a half when the season opens and is very nearly breached. I've talked with his mother and we've decided on tunics for this year. I'm very excited to try this option out!
His 'Sunday' outfit will possibly be a linen tunic, but I haven't decided yet. His everyday outfit will be a short sleeved cotton tunic, and linen short pants. I really like the wide style that are cuffed at the bottom. He's got a wool hat, but I'd like to make him a linen cap for his best outfit.




















Our eldest, LP, is an 8 year old girl. So far I've decided she is going to get a new set of underpinnings, including stays and a hoop. Last time I asked her favorite colors were purple and red. I'm thinking of making her a purple sheer dress. She's a total doll, and I know would take good care of it. She also needs another everyday dress. Something with a jewel neckline and long sleeves for the colder events. She's also going to get a set of pinafores. Hopefully 2 cotton calico ones, and I'd love to make her a nice white one to go over her sheer dress. She'd look just like an Alice in Wonderland!














All the kids are in need of coats for the cold months, sleepwear, new underpinnings, and something to keep their heads warm in the cold, and cool in the heat. This equates to 6 chemises, 2 undershirts, 8 pair drawers, 2 night shirts, 2 nightgowns, 2 pair stays, 2 hoops, 8 petticoats, 4 corded bonnets, 2 quilted hoods, 2 quilted caps, 4 sack coats, on top of the tunics, gowns, and frocks! I'm so very excited!

BTW, all of these images are from La Mode magazine and are available online. Please contact me for links.

No comments:

Post a Comment